Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » Reply To: New Student asks about Chanthaburi Thailand?

Reply To: New Student asks about Chanthaburi Thailand?

Profile photo of tndiehard

Chanthaburi – Market Part 1

Iam Gerry from Sun city AZ. I just got into Lap/Gemology I have been grinding Cabochons for a very short time with 0 practical knowledge
about Gems. I normally spend 6 months in Thailand every year.

Well I spent 2 Days at the Chanthaburi GEM Market, What a blast 100;s of tables 100’s of runners/Sellers and Zillions in Gems.
It was a bit depressing to think I couldnt participate in this process because I was a newbie.

I got a very busy US Guy some cold water and he let me sit at his table as he was buying and even told me why he didnt buy when he
though it would make sense to me. I met his broker and got a card so I will have a place to sell when I am ready to buy.

I walked the streets about 4 sq blocks that I found Offices and open air setups with people buying and selling. Ruby is King
Sapphire is queen with other gems holding court. I sat with people and watched them, found 3 places to buy tools and I could have open a lab
with the quality of equiptment they have.

Food and Cold drinks everywhere with Thai spicy aroma everpresent.

I did buy some stuff though I bought some rough to Cab with I went to the Bargain table and bought about $125 in Rocks
Well within my budget. The result is I learned a few things about Rubys and some other info on What the different rough can look like
with for about 20 or so Gems. Yesterday I was reading and today I was touching. WOW I wish I knew this 13 years ago I would have learned Thai.

Anybody wants questions answered I will do my best. I walked everywhere and got lost a lot.

Later I will list what I bought and ask for feedback.

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar