Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » Reply To: New member with a new-found fascination for gems! Seeking guidance.

Reply To: New member with a new-found fascination for gems! Seeking guidance.

Profile photo of 13lois31
13lois31
Participant

Like you Patrick, I am newly enthralled. Most of my toys (tools) of the trade came from Amazon and were affordable. Loops to Diamond Testers, books written by experts and a 200 gram digital scale. Bought a Refractometer but returned it cause it was for beer….oops. Yeah, i’m new at this. Research gives me answers but those answers are usually followed by more questions. Time flies when your having fun. Thrift stores are great places to find study material. Never know what ‘ull find and reasonably priced. Then get ur tools out and identify it. Sometimes im right, and sometimes im wrong repeadidly, but i always learn something. I love my three loop end gem holder for loose stones. Ive shot a few across the room. LED40X loupe is under $7, bright light comes in real handy. Gem Pro Software????? Sounds interesting. I would like to know more about it. Better to have a Diamond tester that detects electrical as well as heat signatures, and practice. Identifying metals and their purity takes some time too. My best to you fellow enthusiest. Hope to see some updates on ur progress. lf

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar