Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » Reply To: Colour Change Sapphire

Reply To: Colour Change Sapphire

Profile photo of huttonit

I can not tell you the origin of the stone. It was part of an inheritance from my mother-in-law, in the box is the original receipt dated 1937 for £21 Gineas (£22 4s 6d) suggesting it was my father-in-law’s mother who originally had it: they lived in London and owned a meat suppliers to restaurants in central London. The setting is Russian, which originally set the alarm bells ringing but having tested it and examined it under a microscope I am 95% satisfied it is not lab due to the sharp natural inclusions seen at X60 at X10 it is almost clear. I do suspect the setting is not original because of solder marks left on the clasps, suggesting it had a different stone in it and this one replaced it or it was re-mounted for some reason. Now when that was done there is no saying but the stone is exceptional and the change is so obvious I was surprised that it wasn’t Lab.
It is 6.97ct (calculated), RI 1.68, SG unable to check without unmount, and 11.5 mm round. I estimate the blue/Purple to be 148-151 and the pink to be 181.
It could be worth anything from £10,000 for the stone alone, but have no intention of selling it.
I hope you enjoy it because my wife and I certainly do.

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar