Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » Reply To: Gem lab certificate about enhanced rubies

Reply To: Gem lab certificate about enhanced rubies

Profile photo of m76steve
m76steve
Participant

This subject is still a bitter pill for me. In 2012 i bought a ruby from a Florida gem dealer who spit out lies about how good his ruby was, he noted visible silk as a form of proof of untreated ruby. I fell for his lies & later was proved to be the target of a scam. After purchase, i was given papers showing ‘common’ under treatment for ruby which didnt inform the buyer of anything about the stone, I know better now & the state of Florida knows who this company is, I will tell all who ask. This is a buyer beware type of issue, most rubies, about 95% or more are heated & a good part of this treatment includes chemicals & glass fillers that can be seen under a scope if one knows what to look for. Carefully read all papers u get with the stone, before buying if u can, even today, cutters are applying ‘low heat’, @ 500-700 degrees celsius to ruby or sapphire to very slightly clean the interior of the stone, but even this is traceable under a scope. I now have 2 rubies that are untreated, certed by GIA & a treat to see with a intense difference from the treated stones Ive seen-be an intense buyer-stevie…[the top stone is untreated & certed, GIA]

Attachments:

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar