Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » Reply To: Gem lab certificate about enhanced rubies

Reply To: Gem lab certificate about enhanced rubies

Profile photo of huttonit

Thanks for the observation. The spot is black and under the microscope in a dark field looks like a tiny piece of rock with sharp crystalline structure. The crystalline structure of the ruby is very fine without evidence of heat although I detected a small vein of wax behind the spot. Possibly to hide a fissure there but is nothing on the crown. However, as I only paid $50 a ct and it tests as ruby. I am not too worried about it’s origin or treatment. It is worth knowing that I collect lame and flawed gemstones no one else wants because they are cheap and infinitely more interesting under a microscope than the boring, perfectly clear top quality ones that hit the headlines and the jewelry stores.
Note that my wife and I are both on the lookout for the unusual, rare and interesting ones. To date we have over 1500 eclectic examples no self respecting jeweler would ever cintemplate for a mount.

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar