Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » Reply To: Ultraviolet light on alexandrite.

Reply To: Ultraviolet light on alexandrite.

Profile photo of m76steve

gemsofoz, the peice is about 2 yrs old, the stones were cut within the last fifteen yrs my guess. Top stone was removed & lab tested, alexandrite from Sri Lanka, 70%-80% color chg, very good color change. The pendent has been apprsed. at least 5 times over the years & final appr. is in the 6 digit range. the stones are from Russia, India, Ceylon, & Brazil. The picture was shot using candlelight then a flourescent light to asimilate daylight or close to it. Under UV light I get a slight red color using short wave uv, hence my question about uv lighting, the stones are all natural & untreated in 14kt white gold, one more thing, lab alexandrite has almost no green color under daylight conditions, the new synthetic now shows a little green under daylight with todays new material, so buyer beware as with most colored stones-still learning-m76steve…

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar