Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » General Gem-Related Discussion

Alexandrite?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of m76steve m76steve 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kelliewyckoff
    kelliewyckoff
    Participant

I have an 8 or 9 carat Alexandrite that has been in our family since the late 1800’s. It was my great grandmother’s engagement ring. It changes from a blue green to deep purple. Could this be anything other than an alexandrite? Based on the color change properties and the length of time that it has been in our family, I am beginning to believe that it really is an alexandrite.

Curiouser and curiouser…

Any input would be greatly apprieciated.

Attachments:
    1. image

image.jpeg

Profile photo of hayden
    hayden
    Participant

I have a “Blue John” fluorite that changes from deep blue to deep purple depending on the light. This article from IGS says,

“An English fluorite with an alexandrite like color change (pink-blue) has been reported, as has similar material from Cherbadung, Switzerland.”

Fluorite Value, Price, and Jewelry Information

Profile photo of m76steve
    m76steve
    Participant

This is a reply about alexandrite, Im posting pictures of my pendent because the pics show the color-change as noted in most books about this material-that is green in daylight, to a red in candlelight, most examples are greenish to a purple/reddish color under proper light conditions. My pendent has been checked by many different appraisers, certified, & one of the stones was sent to AGL with very good results. My stones are considered good overall, not the top but very nice examples of the color-change material, the pendent is in 14kt white gold, 1.5″ in diameter, & contains over 24cts. of natural alexandrite-steve…

Attachments:
    1. alex-aligned-feb-2015-A-daylight

alex-aligned-feb-2015-A-daylight.jpg

2. alex-aligned-feb-2015-A-candlelight

alex-aligned-feb-2015-A-candlelight.jpg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to topics in this forum.

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

Recent Community Posts

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar