Facet machine alterations

I’m just crazy enough and poor enough to try my hand at fashioning a facet machine from parts. I found a great American Facetor machine at an estate sale (100% level, no warp or wobble) variable speed belt drive - no reverse, and a Graves Mark IV head and mast. All seem to be well loved and maintained by previous owner.

The base takes 6" laps 1/2" arbor and I want to use 8" laps 1/2 " arbor. I have an 9" splash pan, and I think everything will fit together, but I’m not sure about the motor strain and lap rpm. I think I can figure out the rpm (maybe) if it won’t strain the motor. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

I can take photos if it would help.

What are your motor specs

Hi roentgen,

There are no model numbers or manufacturer info that I can see. I can see it’s a 110V. I think I’ll just try an 8" master lap and see how it does. If it’s no good I’ll just get a larger motor and fashion a mount with the splash 9" splash pan. I’ve learned machines don’t need to be pretty, but the plate the master sits on must be absolutely level. Thanks for checking in.

Hi rpentney,

I ended up taking the base apart and found the motor specs on the wall side. If you still have any ideas that would be most appreciated.

Dayton Motor
Model 2M037
Universal AC/DC Motor
1/10 HP
RPM 8000
Voltage 115
60 Hz
1 Phase
1.5 Full Load Amps
Motor Thermal Protection None
Ins. Class A, 1.00
Ball Motor Bearings (My machine is using two V-Belts - ordered replacements yesterday.
Max. Ambient Temp. 40 Degrees C
CCWSE Motor Shaft Rotation (I don’t have the controls to run CCWSE)

Thank you,
Hayden

My Ultra Tec has a 1/5 HP motor, so 1/10 may be a little skinny. Especially at low rpms.
Also, you might want to try a rubber friction drive to reduce vibration, Belts work, but they are not ideal. If you do use belts, get the sectional ones that you buy by the foot and all the links can come apart. They run a lot smoother and last forever. Pricey, but worth it.
I used a direct drive on the first one I built, with a 1/3 Hp 3 phase motor powered by a controller that provides 3 phase power from single phase. Infinitely variable and powerful. You would need to find the controller used tho as they are about $250 new!
Stick with the 8 in laps, and buy good ones from gear loose or crystallite.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much. You just saved me a ton of time, money, and frustration. I will take a bit more time now and build a better machine. I had not considered rubber friction drive or the sectional belts. That may be where I start since I can use those on my current machine.

Thank you again for sharing, and have a great day.

Peace
Hayden