Gem Pricing Question by a Newbie

i noticed that gemstones price list is not updated. i checked several gemstones and i noticed that in some of these last update took place in 2013 and 2014 as well. Is it something that i should take into consideration or is that because there is no significant changes in the price of certain gemstones. Also i like to know if the posted price-list refers to wholesalers or in the retail business.

Thank u guys…!!

I agree with Dimitris, could someone in the IGS answer this question about the prices that have been updated so/too long time ago… in 2013-2014… Thanks

I would also like to know the answers to these questions as well. Hello IGS are you there?

Good question

Hi everyone!
Because the price data in the IGS pages is so old I can’t rely on it so I have started to use Gemval for pricing some gems. It gives the retail prices but the color system/charts is not the best possible.

Hi guys - I’m sorry I missed this thread and didn’t respond sooner. This is Seth @ IGS.

Most all of the prices in the gem price guide were updated between 2013 and 2014. It is true that many of those price matrices have not materially changed since then. The price guide should be used as a proxy… the reality is that it really is just a “guide” There are so many factors that govern the price of a gem (most especially color, clarity, and general appeal) that they can’t ever be quantified in a guide. The objective here is just to give you some general parameters.

All that being said, I am currently in the process of completely re-working and updating the gem price guide to make it more accurate, useful and updated. During that process I intend to bring several of the most significant prices more current. This is quite an undertaking as it requires many conversations with dealers and primary market participants.

In the meantime, if you are a paying member and you want some advice on a gem price, I’ll try to help you out over email in a reasonably limited fashion. Just email me at seth@gemsociety.org.

Hi a couple questions on the Oregon Sunstone.what is considered mystique color ? Also what is current price on top AAAA REDs. Thank You Jamie Potter

1. A mystique Oregon sunstone display three or more distinct colors and must have blue/green. 2. Price standards for Oregon sunstones vary. If by “AAAA” you mean a top quality red gem, and assuming you mean one with minimal orange secondary color and no schiller, you could consult the values in the Oregon Gemstone Buying Guide under “Mid-Deep Tones” for red. The price per carat varies according to the size of the gem.