Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » General Gem-Related Discussion

Peridot with Rainbow Opal like internal plane?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of edwarddgrey edwarddgrey 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kathysinbox
    kathysinbox
    Participant

Hi,
    Please take a look at this gem and let me know if you have ever seen anything like this and maybe suggest how this is possible? It is a tumble polished Peridot nugget and I was hoping someone else had seen something like this before. I was sent two pieces and both have this coloring inside along it’s crystal structure.

Any comments are welcome!
    Kathy

Profile photo of kathysinbox
    kathysinbox
    Participant

Looks like the link didn’t show up, here is the attachment to the Peridot

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4151.mov
    Profile photo of edwarddgrey
    edwarddgrey
    Participant

Kathy,

I am probably not the most educated in precise terminology however I believe this is as you described a fissure/crack whereby an “oil on water” type phenomenon is being demonstrated possibly due to water or liquid inclusion creating a similar effect to an opal (ie. differential penetration and return of light producing rainbow colours). I have seen this in quite a few mineral specimens and quite often in the quartz family. I don’t believe this would be rare or desirable in peridot unless it was in a specimen in such a way to render it uniquely collectable. The feature would reduce likelihood of successful cutting/faceting as it could cleave along that plane.

I hope the above was of some help.

All the best,

Edward.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to topics in this forum.

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

Recent Community Posts

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar