Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » General Gem-Related Discussion

Specific Gravity Accessory

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ladybug ladybug 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of ladybug
    ladybug
    Participant

I’m trying to modify the SG Accessory in the Reference Library article. Has anyone tried to use a mesh tea ball with a chain as a gem basket? I can’t think of any other way to weigh my really small stones.

Profile photo of duane
    duane
    Participant

I think the only problem with that would be getting the air bubbles out. Maybe if you cut large openings at the top so you have a mesh basket and a mostly open top.

Good idea

Duane

Profile photo of ladybug
    ladybug
    Participant

It’s certainly worth a try. I agree– air bubbles could be a problem. Of course, I could just wait patiently while the bubbles work their way up. Unfortunately, patience isn’t exactly my strong suit. I’ll try making a couple of holes and let you know what works.
    Thanks

Profile photo of mygemdealer
    mygemdealer
    Participant

I have 2 Specific Gravity kits in stock that work with electronic scales. Let me know if you are interested and whether you would like me to send the details.

Nirvana

Attachments:
    1. SG-Kit-Excl-Scale

SG-Kit-Excl-Scale.jpg

Profile photo of ladybug
    ladybug
    Participant

Cool! Specs? I use a pocket-size electronic scale. Will your gadget fit?

Profile photo of mygemdealer
    mygemdealer
    Participant

ladybug, I did not see this post until today, as I was not the originator of it. If you are interested in the SG Kit, Private Message me and I will send you more info. If your pocket scale is sensitive enough, it will work. But send me the specific questions you have and I will assist as best I can.

Best Nirvana

Profile photo of ladybug
    ladybug
    Participant

See the forum post asking how the mesh tea ball works in the specific gravity determination.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to topics in this forum.

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

Recent Community Posts

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar