Welcome to the IGS Forums! Please note that you'll need to create an account to participate in these forums. Please read our brief Forum Rules and Etiquette.
Show More Information
Forums Home » General Gem-Related Discussion

What is opal dust?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wfwilson wfwilson 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of gemgirl
    gemgirl
    Participant

I’ve seen many lovely pieces referred to as opal
    dust. Is that synthetic opal? Is it a doublet or triplet? Or is it a
    misleading term that refers to something totally different? I have
    asked many people and have tried to research it but I have gotten
    nowhere. Any assistance is appreciated!

Profile photo of wfwilson
    wfwilson

The only reference I can find to “opal dust” is a glass frit used to make opal simulated glass cabochons or other fused glass.

Profile photo of jrasmussen
    jrasmussen
    Participant

Never heard of opal dust. However, I really would not have any interest in “dust”

John

Profile photo of pmwangi
    pmwangi
    Participant

Opal dust, I think that is just a term used by buyers and sellers who deal with opals. It may probably be synthetic to some extent or a doublet. To Identify if it is natural, you can use magnification and see its inside characteristics. But to my opinion, it might be low priced. I tend to think it i the dust of opal combined together to form a piece.

Profile photo of ladybug
    ladybug
    Participant

Opal dust is just that– leftovers from cutting and polishing. Triplets and doublets include a thin slice of natural or lab-created stone, with a quartz cover for protection, and in the case of triplets, a black stone backing of some sort. Dust is dust. For me, anything less than 1 or 2 mm is what I call OTF (off the floor), and anything smaller than that is useless! I use OTF to suspend in solutions to use as snow-globe type ornaments and pendants. Nature’sJewelry.com has opal dust jewelry. Take a look.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to topics in this forum.

Take your love of gemstones
To a New Level
Search in radius 25 miles

Recent Community Posts

eNews Signup

Skip to toolbar