Gemstone Radiation Treatment
Step 2: Advanced Gemology
How Common are Gemstone Radiation Treatments?
Most gems on the market today receive various treatments to change their natural colors and create more desirable, salable products. Radiation and heating are the most common treatments, used alone or sometimes in combination with other enhancements.
Although both treatments are common, radiation generates fear while heat carries little stigma. For example, most gem buyers will accept that heat transforms brown tanzanite to blue and amethyst into citrine. The gem industry has used heat enhancement for many years. On the other hand, gem dealers worry that an ill-informed public would refuse to buy jewelry containing irradiated stones. Of course, gemstone radiation poses no health risks as long as the process is carefully controlled.
What is Radiation?
The term “radiation” covers a number of phenomena which fall into two groups: electromagnetic and particulate.
Radio waves, microwaves, and visible light are the most well-known forms of electromagnetic radiation. These all consist of photons, or small “clumps” of vibrating electric and magnetic fields, moving through space at light speed. The faster the vibration, the more energy (and smaller wavelength) a photon has.
Visible light vibrates …
This is a Premium Article. Please become a member to read this entire article and gain access to hundreds more like it.Membership options
Full Article Details
Here's what you get if you unlock this article:
- How Common are Gemstone Radiation Treatments?
- What is Radiation?
- Electromagnetic Radiation
- Particulate radiation
- The Physical Effects of Radiation
- What Causes Gemstone Color?
- Light Absorption
- Elements and Color
- Gemstone Radiation and Color
- Electron-Holes and Color Centers
- What Happens to the Color?
- Practical Gemstone Radiation
- Finding Radiation Sources
- Checking for Induced Radioactivity
- Removing Unsightly Color Effects
- Identifying Gemstone Radiation Treatments
- Gemstone Radiation Examples
Plus, additional member-only benefits:Membership options