Gemstone Visual Examination Quizzes
Step 3: Practical Gemology
We’ve designed a series of realistic gem identification quizzes for gemology students. Each will give you a better idea of how to proceed based on the information at hand. This will help you learn not only the identification process but also time saving short cuts.
If you’ve missed it, try taking this sample gem identification quiz, too.
The following three quizzes focus on how to conduct a gemstone visual examination. Whether you’re trying to identify rough or cut stones or verify grades, you must learn to recognize what you see.
Examining a Rough Gemstone: Quiz 1
You’ve received a piece of rough to identify. First, you clean it carefully. Next, you give it a thorough visual exam, using your unaided eyes, a loupe, and a microscope. In the process, you find the following bits of visual information.
1. What optical feature do you see here?
2. What physical feature do you see here?
3. In the following picture, what inclusions do you find?
4. What kind of inclusions can you see in the following picture?
Rough Gemstone Visual Examination Advice
Some people have difficulty determining the identity of …
This is a Premium Article. Please become a member to read this entire article and gain access to hundreds more like it.Membership options
Full Article Details
Here's what you get if you unlock this article:
- Examining a Rough Gemstone: Quiz 1
- 1. What optical feature do you see here?
- 2. What physical feature do you see here?
- 3. In the following picture, what inclusions do you find?
- 4. What kind of inclusions can you see in the following picture?
- Rough Gemstone Visual Examination Advice
- Find a Place to Start
- Choose Your Follow Up Tests
- Cross-Check Your Gem's Visual Properties Against Other Gemstones
- Identifying Inclusions with a Gemstone Visual Examination: Quiz 2
- Photo #1
- Photo #2
- Photo #3
- Photo #4
- Photo #5
- Photo #6
- Photo #7
- Learn More About Gemstone Inclusions
- Verifying Clarity Grades with a Gemstone Visual Examination: Quiz 3
- Is this ruby SI1 clarity?
- Gemstone Identification Quiz Series
Plus, additional member-only benefits:Membership options